The Biomass and Bioenergy Research Group (BBRG) is a world-class research group, based at the University of British Columbia. The Group conducts advanced research and develops innovative solutions to meet the needs of the emerging biobased businesses in Canada and around the world. To meet its goals, BBRG is made up of a core group of engineers and scientists focused on turning raw biomass to industrial feedstock that would meet the requirements of producing high value intermediate chemicals and biofuels. The main technical activities of the group consists of evaluating the physical and chemical properties in relation to biomass size reduction, drying, pelletization, and best practices for safe handling and storage of biomaterials. The group has also unique expertise in developing mathematical models for conducting feedstock supply chain simulations and techno economic assessments. In short, BBRG bridges the often neglected gap between raw biomass source and biomass conversion. As feedstock engineers – the Group integrates all the processes and management strategies involved from biomass harvest until just prior to final conversion to bioenergy, and bioproducts:
- Supply chain logistics – modeling and analysis
- Resource assessment and analysis
- Physical and chemical characterization of biomass
- Densification that include drying, size reduction, pelletization
- Best practices for storage and handling of raw biomass and ready to deploy feedstock
- Life cycle analysis, cost benefit analysis
BBRG collaborates with industry and government to meet the needs of the emerging bioeconomy. Our research ranges from fundamental laboratory experiments to applied, short-term contract work for companies and other organizations on strategic biomass opportunities.
Mission and Vision
Our vision is to preserve and enhance the UBC’s position as a global leader in biomass and bioenergy sciences and engineering.
Our mission is to enable the emergence of a sustainable cellulosic biofuels industry through coordinated research, innovation and effective education. We are committed to understanding, creating and conducting world-class research in the area of biomass and bioenergy as well as technology development. Our work demonstrates that there is a viable, sustainable alternative to fossil fuels.
The overall research goal of our research program is to upgrade raw biomass to consistent high quality feedstock for biofuel and bioproducts.
- Conduct research and develop innovative technologies to supply, process, store and convert lignocellulosic biomass into a competitive high quality feedstock
- Create and apply comprehensive logistical models and decision-support systems to ensure sustainable and economically competitive biomass supplies for the bio-based industry
- Train and educate young engineers for the emerging bio-economy
- Provide consultation and research services to biomass and bioenergy companies and associations